Jane Maher is the only Psychodramatist, Family Therapist
& Mental Health Nurse in Melbourne
specialising in therapeutic social groups
for socially isolated teens.
Jane is a Certificated Psychodrama Practitioner with Australian Aotearoa New Zealand Psychodrama Association (AANZPA), and has a Masters in Clinical Family Therapy from the Bouverie Family Institute (Latrobe University, 2014) and was awarded the Virginia Satir Award.
Jane regularly presents at AANZPA conferences on her work with adolescents and families. She wrote her Psychodrama thesis “Friends are the Best Medicine – Applications of the Psychodramatic Method with Socially Isolated Teenagers”.
Jane’s other qualifications include:
• Certified Facilitator – Tuning into Teens & Tuning into Kids, Mindful, Centre for Training & Research in Development Health, The University of Melbourne, (2015-6).
• Postgraduate Diploma in Mental Health Nursing, Latrobe University (2015)
• Certificate in Child & Adolescent Developmental Psychiatry, Mindful, Centre for Training & Research in Development Health, The University of Melbourne, (2005)
• Bachelor of Arts -Major in Women’s Studies (Latrobe University, 1989)
Jane has more than 20 years’ experience in running Therapeutic Social Skills Groups for teenagers. She established the CHAT – Confident Happy Adolescents Talking Social Skills Peer Support Program at The Centre For Adolescent Health, Royal Children’s Hospital, Melbourne in 1997.
She established her own practice, Evolving Roles, in 2005, working with teens and their families at several clinics in Melbourne, including at TARA with Dr Rob Gordon in Box Hill and Crisalida in North Fitzroy and Thornbury.
She has also facilitated in-person and online teen social skills groups through Distance Education Victoria and ran a peer group program for children and teens with parents with mental health issues with Carers Australia.
Jane worked for Alfred Health Child & Youth Mental Health Services as a Clinician/Case Manager. from 2014-2018. In this role, Jane provided individual, group, parent and family counselling and psychotherapy as well as Case Management.
She has an extensive experience working with mental health conditions in children, teens, and adults, gained as a Psychiatric Nurse, working at the Austin Health State-wide In-Patient Child Psychiatry Unit & the Austin Health Inpatient Adolescent Psychiatry Unit.
• Australian Aotearoa New Zealand Psychodrama Association – Certificated Psychodrama Practitioner
• Australian Association of Family Therapy
• Psychotherapy and Counselling Federation of Australia – Clinical Member (Registration #24481)
• Australian Nursing and Midwifery Association of Australia
• Australian Health Professionals Registration Association